“I start my mornings with breath and a yoga pose.”– Londrelle
Meditation: The act or process of spending time in quiet thought (Miriam-Webster)
Meditation is simply just going to your quiet place to reset and recharge your mind. There are so many reasons you should meditate. A few reasons are the following:
- Reduces stress
- Increases energy
- Increases focus
- Boosts the immune system
- Counters anxiety
- Eases chronic pain
- Treats insominia
I said there were a lot, and those are not all of them. So, how do you start meditating? Well, I have that answer for you. Begin with finding your quiet spot. Somewhere where you will feel comfortable being alone and knowing you won’t be interrupted our distracted. Here are a few suggestions:
- Your room
- Your closet
- Your car
- The park
- The bathroom/shower
As long as the place is somewhere were you feel comfortable and can relax then that is a place you can meditate.
There are different types of meditation. However, here are a few simple ways to begin your meditation journey:
- Guided Meditation – use visuals to turn away thoughts and distractions. It is basically taking time to daydream, and not be interrupted.
- Breathing Meditation – focus on how your breath moves in and out of your body. This is a type of meditation that teaches you how to focus while ultimately relaxing your mind.
- Mindful Meditation – similar to breathing meditation. However, when thoughts come to your mind you actually acknowledge them and use your breath to keep them there while you reflect, and you use your breath to let them go. This is a time to reflect on what has been troubling you.
- Mantra Meditation – is using a mantra, a phrase or a word, that you silently repeat to keep away distracting thoughts.
There are also several YouTube channels, Spotify Playlists, and Apps that can help guide you on your meditation journal. My favorites are Medistate Mind on YouTube and the Headspace app.
Now that you have some types of meditation to choose from your next step is just doing it.
- Start off with just 5 minutes
- Begin every morning with it
- End the day with a bubble bath and some meditation
- Pair it up with yoga and begin and end your next session with meditation
Go ahead and pen meditation into your schedule and start your journey to better grades, better sleep, and better health.
To help you with your journey, I want to share my Asana playlist. It is my morning playlist filled with affirmations, healing sounds, and mellow vibes that set the atmosphere for a great meditation and yoga session while jump starting your morning.
For more information about meditation check out my resources: